Wednesday 16 March 2011

Who is the Most “Dangerous” Fighter in Winnipeg? (One Magazine, March, 2011)

No it’s not me. Fighters that probably come to mind are UFC fighters Krzysztof Soszyński, maybe Joe ‘El Dirte’ Doerksen who capped of a career year in 2010. For stand up, Light Heavyweight Canadian Champion Junior Moar comes to mind, in the women’s divisions it would have to go to ‘The Predator’ Olivia Gerula, who looks to recapture her WBC championship strap in 2011, but a boxer is limited to two hands. All these fighters have their place, but the most dangerous fighter in my opinion, with the most tools in his arsenal, eight options, is Muay Thai fighter “Dangerous” Dave Zuniga.
Dave has spent the last few winters down in Thailand. “He has made a name locally, throughout Canada, and is now out making his name known overseas and around the fight world. He is very technical and his nickname suits him well, at any moment of the fight he can be dangerous.” GoJo Gym owner Joe Soares said.  “He can be just as dangerous sparring as he can in a fight when he turns it up”. I wouldn't be surprised to hear he put local, less experienced fighters to sleep.
I had the chance to go a few rounds with Dangerous Dave before I left to fight in Ice Warriors back in October, he sent me to Finland with a black eye. He was smothering in sparring, leaving no room to breathe after I would throw a combination. His best punches came when he was attacking the body and throwing uppercuts, all coming from a southpaw stance.
 I asked Dave about his experiences in Thailand and future plans, he said,”I have fought in Lumpinee and Ratchadamnern Stadiums, Mahachai Villa, and some smaller shows. I have also fought in Hua Hin a few times, and a few times in Pattaya at Thepprasit stadium, which is owned by Fairtex. I have fought 12 times in Thailand so far, losing once. Some fights were easy, some were more difficult, and some fights were extremely tough. In previous trips to Bangkok I lived at the gym, sharing a room with two other people and I ate my meals at the gym. This time I am renting an apartment near the gym, I eat at the noodle and rice stands on the street. I can speak a little Thai, enough to order food. I would love a chance to fight in the K1 in Japan, but unfortunately I cannot make the weight limit of 154lbs. The very lowest I can get down to is 160, which I don't feel my best fighting at. I've had many fights under many rules. I had around 60 or so bouts as an amateur, competing in boxing, kickboxing, and modified Muay Thai rules. As a professional competing in kickboxing and Muay Thai, my record is 28 wins and 8 losses. My professional record in full Muay Thai rules fights is 12 wins and 1 loss."
Dave Zuniga trains out of Canadian Fighting Center and was scheduled to fight in the main event of the next CFC card here in Winnipeg but that card has been postponed until further notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment